Thursday, February 14, 2013

Fitting In Some Down Time

As much as I would like to be able to get everything done, every day.  It just isn't possible all the time .  Like yesterday for example.  I woke for the day at 4:00am in California.  It was too early even for the fitness room which opened in this hotel at 5:00.  I have been trying to get current with the episodes of Downton Abbey so through the continuing wonders of the Internet and the iPad I watched an episode while still in bed. 

Then it was off to the gym, a quick shower and a cable car ride to our first meeting of the day.  We ended the California portion of our day in Palo Alto then headed to the airport for a flight back to NYC.  Touch down was 12:30AM this morning and I hit the pillow for the day at about 1:45AM. 

I am writing this post at my desk since my commute this morning was thankfully only the ten minute walk from my hotel and as I began to write it hit me that I missed posting on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Not only did I miss my deadline but I didn't even think about posting.  I completely forgot for those two days that this is part of my life. 

As I try to figure this out a bit I am oscillating between senility and an over loaded agenda.  There was certainly plenty of time on the six hour flight to San Fran, and equally on the five hour flight home.  So, why didn't I get it done? 

I guess this might be part of the answer.  It is now 10:45 and I am staring at this almost finished post and I am realizing that as with any busy life, I need to make time to shut down for a time.  I am glad I watched an episode or two of DA and I am happy that I maintain such an active life.  I have been running like this for a couple of years now and I feel like life continues to improve.  We certainly don't have all the answers and I remain in a struggle with myself over how to best help D2.  None of this is easy so if I miss a post or two due to a recognition of the immediate importance of other parts of my life, that is going to have to be ok.  I will continue to try and balance all of my responsibilities, needs and desires into a meaningful and productive contributing life.

And that makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment